|Job Title: ||Yosemite Hiking and Backpacking Guide Needed!
|Industry Sector: ||Action, Outdoor
|Job Categories: ||Guide
The Position: Yosemite Hiking and Backpacking Guide Needed!
YOSEMITE BACKPACKING AND LODGE-BASED HIKING GUIDE
Arizona Outback Adventures has provided superior customer service and unforgettable guest experiences across the West since 1997. AOA guides combine a passion for the outdoors with compassion for guests, a desire to learn with the talent to teach, have a flexible attitude, and above all, commitment to creating the best possible trip experience for our guests. AOA guides deliver the highest levels of service because we love what we do, we love the special places we visit, and we love having a positive impact on the lives of others.
Our 5 day lodge based itineraries (1-2 scheduled departures per month, June-October) involve facilitating a seamless guest experience while staying at their hotel as well as during day hikes. This entails planning ahead concerning luggage transfer, wait times in lobbies or restaurants, and setting expectations accurately. While leading day hikes, our guides add value above and beyond safety and direction. Guides must have a wide range of natural and human history of the area to share with guests, as well as always being aware of individual and group needs. How can you add to the guests’ experience to make it unique?
Our backpacking trips are 4 day itineraries throughout the park (4-8 scheduled departures per month, May-September). Extensive backpacking experience is preferred for our backpacking guide position. We operate our trips with education in mind – we want our guests to have the opportunity to learn solid beginner backpacking skills that they can build upon. Guides should be extremely comfortable with pack loading and fitting, familiar with the use of gravity water filters and butane stoves, cooking and food presentation in the wilderness, Leave No Trace wilderness practices, and be able to confidently convey information to guests.
Postion 1 (3 guides required): May 2nd to October 20th.
Position 2 (2-3 guides required): June 10th to September 20th.
- We can only accept applicants who can legally work in the United States.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Seek to provide our guests with the best outdoor experience of their lives
- Lead backpacking itineraries in different areas of Yosemite National Park
- Lead interpretive day hikes in Yosemite National Park
- Shop for and pack meals for backpacking and day hiking itineraries
- Facilitate hotel check ins and check out as well as restaurant meals for large groups
- Drive guests to and from Fresno, CA to Yosemite National Park
- Present facts about the Yosemite’s natural and human history in an interesting and relevant manner
- Prepare meals with excellent presentation both in the front country and the backcountry
- Care and storage of AOA equipment with the use of AOA provided stipend
- Be a good steward of the natural areas in which we travel; adhere to and promote the seven Leave No Trace principles
- Wilderness First Responder certified
- Customer service experience; excellent communication skills
- Background in Yosemite natural history