The Position: Product Developer - Equipment
PRODUCT DEVELOPER – OUTDOOR EQUIPMENT
We are Eastern Mountain Sports®, a passionate outdoor brand and outfitter. We outfit people with the gear and confidence they need to venture into the world, no matter how large or small the journey may be.
The Product Developer is responsible for the product development process as it relates to initial concept ideation, prototype evaluation and specifications to produce a finished good, in collaboration with the Sourcing and Merchandising teams.
The Product Developer, as a member of the Sourcing and Product Development team, must ultimately provide knowledgeable, credible and authentic expertise with regard to product development and design for EMS brand equipment. Working closely within the development team as well as with other cross functional partners, the Product Developer will manage multiple projects and timelines, creatively solve engineering issues for product and production, develop specifications in Adobe Illustrator, as well as assist in the prototyping and revision process in order to bring products to market.
Specifically the Product Developer will:
- Manage the product development time & action calendars. Identify exceptions to manager and offer solutions
- Collaborate on seasonal spec. development for product costing and proto-typing.
- Develop product specification packages in Adobe Illustrator and/or a PLM system for handoff to Sourcing and manufacturing partners
- Track all phases of development / adoption in PLM including fabric, trim, artwork, pre-proto samples and finalization samples to ensure on time delivery and maintain dates in Development chart
- Monitor and oversee sampling prototype delivery
- Evaluate for approval, all prototypes, in consultation with Product Manager and Product Development Manager
- Schedule and perform regular fit and product review sessions; communicate comments to vendors.
- Incorporate all information from testing, inspection and repair into the development process
- Conduct top of production inspections, as needed
- Implement customer and store feedback.
- Maintain awareness of competitive environment and how to improve EMS product, including: technology, market trends, construction, make details, fit and overall quality
- Understand principles of product performance, fit, construction, raw materials and how to use them.
· Collaborate on seasonal spec development for product costing and proto-typing.
· Become knowledgeable of global sourcing of fabric and trims and act as a vendor liaison regarding information from Product and Inventory Management, Technical Design, and suppliers
· Travel domestically and internationally to vendors for inspections and factory collaboration as needed.
What you need to be successful in this position:
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suites (especially Illustrator)
- PLM or PDM knowledge a plus.
- Grasp and apply both general and abstract concepts of product development with regard to user/product interaction and construction.
- Interpret product direction in order to develop factory ready specifications.
- Communicate with clear understanding of written and verbal skills.
- Extensive knowledge of products and sports in category, prior outdoor retail sales experience and/or prior experience with product development or design.
- B.A. or B.S. in business, retail management or equivalent work experience in product development, technical design, manufacturing and production.
- Use product frequently for personal testing (Must be an active participant in at least three of the outdoor sports EMS caters to).
- The ability to travel internationally, and ability to review product through in field testing.
Please apply through the Career Opportunities section of www.ems.com.
We aspire to be the best place to work in the outdoor industry. We are a community that believes the strength of each individual employee is what provides the company with a sustainable future and an authentic brand. We maintain a fun work environment without ever losing focus on tasks at hand. Here, our work facilitates our passion.
Job Location: Peterborough, NH
Country: United States
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: None