The Position: Advanced Technology Engineer
Fit…It’s important in the shoes we make and in the people we hire. We have a long tradition (100 + years!) of making the most comfortable work and outdoor footwear. We’re poised for increased growth and we’re searching for some of the most talented professionals who will walk the exciting road with us.
It’s entrepreneurial spirit that started Red Wing Shoe Company and that same spirit spills out from our offices and facilities every day. We respect where we started and embrace new ideas that make us competitive in a global economy. We like to think outside the (shoe) box and value ideas and contributors who do the same. Is it time to try on something bigger where you'll have some room to grow?
Try this on for size:
We are looking for an Advanced Technology Engineer to be responsible for proactively developing advanced product concepts that are synergistic with the brand strategies, and business objectives. Responsible for the research, design, development and specification of new technologies, materials and manufacturing methods for application to products across all RWSC owned brands.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Evaluate consumer research to identify consumer insights for new product concepts.
• Brainstorm new product concepts and lead the early development of new products through the prototype stage.
• Build mock-ups and prototypes to evaluate the feasibility of concepts.
• Effectively communicate design intent and project details to vendors or engineering staff.
• Interact with factory teams to incorporate new concepts and materials into existing or new products.
• Maintain relationships with current and potential suppliers.
• Ensure that the products comply with RWSC environmental, safety and performance standards.
• Research advanced technologies, materials, components, processes, construction and assembling techniques to create innovative product solutions for future introductions by all brands.
• Develop product solutions that reduce the manufactured costs of our products as well as reduce rework, factory seconds and returns.
• Evaluate new materials/technologies that meet market requirements, coordinate the testing internally and with our vendors and suggest new material usage and applications.
• Support development of new designs using the 3D Software system.
• Anticipate market trends and pursue the development of new components, materials, construction, and technologies.
• Work with the Quality organization to develop new or proprietary test methods that replicate performance in real use environment and conditions.
OTHER DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist Legal department in filing of new patents for RWSC and in identifying and assessing potential patent infringement concerns.
• Develop designs for all products as requested by the brands to support the seasonal or other introductions.
• Work in a team environment with designers, engineers, project managers and testers to provide assistance in the Research & Engineering efforts.
• Maintain knowledge of RWSC’s electronic communication software.
• Following organization quality system standards.
• Uphold Red Wing Shoe Company’s core values.
• Complete other duties as assigned from time to time by management.
• Maintain technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, classes and programs.
• Conduct self according to RWSC policies / handbook.
CUSTOMERS (Internal and External)
Internal: Innovation & Product Development (IPD) team, Quality Department, Manufacturing, and RWSC Brand Business Units.
External: RWSC Customers, suppliers, distributors, contract manufacturers, and representatives.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE:
A Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering related field with a minimum of 5 - 8 years of experience developing consumer products, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
ADDITIONAL DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS:
• Footwear experience strongly preferred
• Passion for materials and the role materials play in performance product
• Background in footwear constructions, footwear development and footwear components.
• Knowledge and understanding of material and molding processes and their manufacturing processes.
• Experience working with suppliers and contractors.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATES OR KNOWLEDGE:
• Strong communication and influencing skills with the capability to take complex information and create a clear compelling story.
• Must be an effective problem solver who is committed to producing products of exceptional quality performance and design.
• PC literacy and knowledge of MS Office suite of applications
• Strong Material and Science skills
• Strong oral and written communication and problem-solving skills
• This position is ideally suited to an individual who is able to balance creativity with good analytical skills and stay focused on results - someone who enjoys problem solving, strives on challenge, and is committed to product innovation.
• Ability to understand materials selection and use across a wide variety of materials including polymer, plastic, foam, rubber and textile materials
Majority of the time is spent working in an office, laboratory or manufacturing facility environment. Other tasks, preparing reports and communications, developing plans.
• Time will be split between RWSC Product Development area, RWSC factories, supplier facilities, and test lab environments.
• Some domestic and international travel required.
Red Wing Shoe Company will not be using recruitment agencies or firms to fill this position and we will not accept unsolicited resumes or candidate information. No agency calls please.
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Country: United States
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate:
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 5-7 years
Job Application Web Site: https://rn11.ultipro.com/RED1003/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=928