|Job Title: ||The North Face: Materials Analyst
|Industry Sector: ||Outdoor
|Job Categories: ||Design - Apparel
Production - Apparel
| Contact Information
Company Phone: 510-814-7600
The Position: The North Face: Materials Analyst
At The North Face, we push the boundaries of innovation with our product design and development of premier apparel, equipment and footwear to enable and inspire athletes and enthusiasts to Never Stop Exploring. We remain deeply proud to be the first choice of the world's most accomplished climbers, mountaineers, extreme skiers, snowboarders, endurance runners, and explorers. If you have a passion for the outdoors and enjoy a fast-paced environment, this is the place for you!
The Materials Analyst will be responsible for the research and development within a focused area of textile materials. The Analyst will work with Materials, Product and Innovation teams to collaborate and execute on off-calendar developments that bring new and innovative materials and constructions. Your role will be more specific to identifying and developing new technologies in fibers, constructions, finishes and sustainable practices for your given focus area. The specific areas of focus can include waterproof breathable, fleece and soft shells, technical knits, natural fibers, sustainable materials, technical wovens.
1. Research and develop short to medium term textiles; both seasonal and annual developments using innovative materials, fibers, constructions, finishes, processes
2. Commercialize seasonal materials based on RDD Product Team performance and business needs on a timely calendar.
3. Develop technical material standards and ranges of acceptable performance including specific product usage guidelines .
4. Work closely with mills to understand specific capabilities and limitations to various fibers, finishes and constructions to innovate on new materials.
5. Determine and present trends in innovation, new materials, functionality, manufacturing and relevant industries.
6. Inspiration from other industries, trade shows, technical and trend publications, competitive products and manufacturing expertise.
7. Provide direction and strategy to Product Teams on material technology, trends and competitive set. 8. Collaborate on innovations with Material Coordinators, Laboratory, Advanced Products and Product Design.
9. Communicate concepts and technical details internally with Product Management, Design, Development, Materials and Laboratory.
10. Communicate effectively with Mills, Suppliers, Factories and VF Sourcing offices globally. Present seasonal trend analysis to internal teams.
Years of Related Professional Experience: 5-7.
Bachelor degree in Textile Science, Engineering, Apparel Design or related fields. Minimum 5 year apparel or textile experience plus 3 year related research or technical development.
Working knowledge of PLM (Product Lifecycle Management) or other material and product management tools.
Strong global communication skills (fluent foreign languages a benefit) and ability to travel internationally.
Project, process and personnel management skills. Ability to coach and motivate team.
Knowledge of textile chemistry, physical materials testing, product testing, design, product engineering and sourcing a plus.
Frequent user of outdoor products a plus.
Knowledge of fiber and yarns, textile construction, dying & finishing, textile testing and evaluation and apparel manufacturing techniques.
Familiarity with material sourcing (lead times, minimums, capacity), product design / development, computer drafting and research techniques.
Ability to manage projects from concept to commercialization and be accountable for the direction and execution.
Computer skills including MS Office, Adobe Illustrator and Data Management systems.
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Country: United States
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate:
Willing to Travel:
Required Experience Required: 5-7 years
Job Application Web Site: https://vfc.taleo.net/careersection/tnfexternal/jobdetail.ftl?lang=en&job=THE001E2