The Position: Director of Merchandising
Director of Merchandising
Our client is a rapidly growing specialty outdoor retailer with 8 retail stores and an ecommerce site. This retailer plans to grow significantly over the next five years and are looking for the right individual to lead our merchant team. The organization has grown through a simple focus on the customer and a plan for intentional, disciplined growth. In their short existence, this team has proven the ability to accomplish the goals we set.
We are seeking a key person to assist in driving the performance and professionalism of our merchant operations. More than a Head Buyer, we are seeking an individual who can manage all aspects of product inventory throughout its lifecycle and lead a team of individuals to do the same, while developing industry leading standards of efficiency. This individual should also be a major factor in developing new lines and product categories while identifying industry trends and shifts in consumer preference.
An individual will succeed in our organization with a positive and professional attitude, a focus on accomplishment, a willingness to speak up and share new ideas, and a concern for doing the right thing for the customer, no matter the short-term consequences. A love of entrepreneurial, start-up businesses is a key, along with a strong desire to grow an organization and be a center figure in that growth.
We are looking for a Director of Merchandising who will lead our purchasing and inventory management operations.
The perfect candidate will have an immediate connection to our Vision and Mission Statements, and understand and live our core values. This candidate will be extremely flexible and enjoy a “start-up” mentality and environment that changes rapidly. Candidates who are personable, open to learning, collaborate well with others and have a positive attitude, and are more apt to saying “yes” or “we’ll try” (rather than “no or “that’s impossible”) will be at the top of our list.
The Director of Merchandising will supervise all aspects of Open-to Buy planning and management, product selection, procurement, shipment timing, visual merchandising direction and other assigned duties across all categories. Additionally, the Director of Merchandising will work with the CEO and other functional teams in business planning, marketing and general business initiatives to accomplish the goals of the organization.
· Seasonal planning of open-to-buy budget in accordance with Company and Unit sales plan. Reconcile receipts in-season to pre-season OTB plan, including at-once orders.
· Closely monitor customer trends/preferences and in-season selling and translate to development of seasonal category and product strategies.
· Work closely with CEO to develop seasonal category strategies in accordance with marketplace trends and Company and Unit plans and goals.
· Present product strategy/assortment to senior store operations team members.
· Lead merchant team in product selection with a primary focus on softgoods. General oversight and budget accountability in footwear and hardgoods.
· Write and oversee orders across categories.
· Develop and drive adherence to annual retail calendar.
· Assess and interpret data to drive in-season and future season development.
· Compile and present financial analysis including (but not limited to ) category sell-through, margins and key product performance.
Job Related Competencies:
- Live, model and teach Our Core Values.
- Highly attuned to merchandising trends in the specialty outdoor marketplace. Understands nuances in consumer behavior and competitive pressures.
- Ability to use and act upon internal and external data and reports. Strong understanding of retail metrics in these reports and ability to calculate these metrics in an Excel based environment.
- Ability to engage and inspire a wider variety of partners, stakeholders, and team members.
- Strong innovation and collaboration skills are required.
- Strong communication skills, written and oral, required. Ability to communicate merchandising direction in a compelling manner.
- Strong planning and organizational skills.
- Experience leading and inspiring a successful merchandising team.
- Bachelors in related discipline (10+ years of combined college education and work experience may be substituted for a degree).
- Minimum of 7+ years related experience with a minimum of 3 years as a lead merchant in a specialty retail organization.
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Country: United States
Willing to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Minimum Experience Required: 5-7 years