The Position: Creative Manager - Men's Outerwear
Burton is the industry leader in snowboarding. We built the sport from the ground up and have been producing the best snowboarding outerwear for more than a quarter-century.
Our stuff is second to none, and so are you; your strong portfolio includes a wide array of T-shirt graphics, hand-illustrated and silkscreened indie concert posters, some unique product or packaging design and at least one or two prints in full-repeat. You're proud of all the work you've done in the six or so years since you graduated college and can talk through, and write about, your ideas and vision like you've been doing this from the womb. You definitely can't envision a life without Creative Suite, especially Illustrator. You've also probably dropped into a mini ramp, ridden a 50+ day season and put a fat cap on a can of spray paint.
If the above sounds like an accurate description of you then step forward. You'll be joining a team of professionals that eat, breathe and sleep all things design and snowboarding. We live to get up for first chair at the mountain and come back to a full day of designing prints & trims, building color palettes, & working on tech packs for jackets, pants, zipper pulls and snaps.
Now for the boring stuff. This job is a unique blend of graphic design, fashion design and sometimes even industrial design.
• Building theme boards based off of current and, more importantly, future trends that are informed by your knowledge of snowboarding consumer culture, high fashion and streetwear.
• Building unique color palettes that enhance our prints, trims and fabrications with an eye for a perfectly merchandised line.
• Designing prints in full-repeat with Photoshop, Illustrator and by hand, (sometimes a mix of all three) built from inspiration you've found from looking through magazines, blogs and print houses.
• Building factory-producable mill sheets, troubleshooting and adjusting within the constrains of production in less than two rounds of strike-offs.
• Updating and, from time-to-time, building tech packs for technical outerwear that requires a knowledge of garment construction and being able to express that construction clearly with words and visuals.
• Working with our fabric team to take the Creative Director's vision for materials and make it a reality by bringing unique fabric ideas to the table, commenting on counter-sourced fabrics and having a keen eye for quality and value in headers available from our mills.
• Working with our technical designers to create fits that look great on the body, but don't hamper its movement on the hill.
• Conceptualizing the considered trims, art and details that make our outerwear unique in the market. This requires thinking and designing in three dimensions.
• Building factory-producable tech packs for zipper pullers, snaps, buttons, etc.
• Build great relationships with our inter-office partners in Product and Marketing through clear communication and the drive to build the best product possible.
• Manage your own work flow and work in collaboration with others to meet calendar dates and deliverables.
• Communicate with our offsite design team in a clear and concise way.
• Be able travel, professionally representing our department and our brand.A Bachelor's degree in Design plus 5 - 7 years of relevant experience required.
The ideal candidate will have a portfolio currently containing a diversified array of T-shirt art, knowledge of color, knowledge of snowboarding culture, skateboarding culture and streetwear and excellent Illustrator skills and Photoshop skills.
Please include on your resume a link to your online portfolio, website or blog. If you do not have an online portfolio, please attach a portfolio to your application on our website.
Position Type: Full Time
Employee May Telecommute: No
Country: United States
Job seekers must live within: No preference
Required to Relocate: Yes
Willing to Travel: Yes
Required Experience Required: 5-7 years
Job Application Web Site: https://jobs.burton.com/careersnew/Careers.aspx?req=12-CS:2809